City Farm Hosts Celebration

William Peace University can be seen in the background in this picture taken at the Raleigh City Farm.

Kasey Delaney

Kasey Delaney

Julia Pemberton

The Raleigh City Farm is celebrating its fifth birthday, along with Earth day, on April 22 with a “BEARTHDAY” celebration that will include a free bazaar from 10 a.m. to noon and a concert fundraiser 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. that night.

The farm at 800 N. Blount St. is a nonprofit urban farm that was developed  on a one-acre lot in downtown Raleigh in 2011. Their mission is to help the environment by producing less waste through growing organic fruit, herbs, and vegetables and to also create a healthy environment for those in the Raleigh community.

“The farm is really great for thriving city farmers,” said  Rebekah Beck, the farm’s general manager. “We want to create a place where people can farm at a positive and uplifting place. Overall, it’s good for the city and everyone in it.”

Beck welcomes William Peace University students to the event, and says there are many other ways the community can get involved at the farm. They can donate, volunteer, join an event, participate in a workshop, or become a sponsor.

The daytime event will include tours of the farm, food trucks

“Peace students may enjoy coming to the concert,” said Beck. “It would be awesome for the students because they could just walk over from their dorms.”

The farm has tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, and its crops are organic and free of pesticides, as well as hydroponic lettuce.

Urban agriculture is  growing in popularity and production nationwide in recent years. The urban farms that have been evaluated by the Community Food Service Security Coalition produced 18.7 million pounds of food and donated 726,000 pounds to the community for food consumption, according to a University of California report.

Studies show that urban farms create pride and attachment in the community they dwell in. They do, in fact, benefit the residents. This, in return, results in less crime and vandalism in the community. Overall, farms positively impact many factors within communities and the environment, the California researchers found.

“It’s really cool to see city-dwellers come together in a place where it is healthy for them and the city,” said  Laurel Kelley, a local nurse and farmer. “Organic growth helps create less waste and gardening or farming is so relaxing.”

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

New Academic Opportunities at Peace

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

2017/2018 SGA Board

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

Good Taste at Peace?

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

Peace Gains New Ways to Study Above Dining Hall

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

Student Involvement Has Plans for Peace

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

Welcome to WPU: New Faculty Fall 2017

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

When Living is the Only Option

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

Give To Texas

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

2016 Alumni: Where Are They Now?

• City Farm Hosts Celebration

Peace News

Pacers’ First Week on Campus

City Farm Hosts Celebration