Disney Makes a Comeback with New Streaming Service “Disney+”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Screenshot from Instagram poll with student's responses

Julia Hardy

Julia Hardy

Julia Hardy

Julia Hardy, Staff Writer

Remember being eight years old and getting so excited to watch the newest episode of Disney Channel classics like Hannah Montanna, That’s So Raven, or Lady in the Tramp? Oh, and let’s not forget about having your first huge crush on Troy Bolton; also known as Zac Efron. 

Those are just a few of the shows and movies from our childhoods that brings back so many nostalgic memories. Disney has just announced that on Nov. 12  they will be releasing a subscription streaming service called “Disney+”.

Subscribers will be able to get exclusive access to new releases from companies like Walt Disney studios, Pixar, and Marvel; just to name a few. The ability to stream all your favorite movies and shows does come with a price of course. The starting price will be $6.99 a month or $69.99 for a whole year.

Todd Spangler, a writer for Variety, a pop culture and entertainment news website, filled the public in on exactly how many shows and movies will be included in the first year of the streaming service’s release.

“The service — in its first year — will include 25 original series, 10 original films and specials, 500 films and 7,500 episodes of current and past TV shows, according to Disney.” Spangler said. 

When asking Peace students on Instagram about this exciting new addition to streaming shows, all of them had pretty much the same response. We were all little kids at one point! Years before we decided we wanted to go to college, we were inviting friends over to each other’s houses to watch the premiere of High School Musical. Now, about 13 years later, we will all be able to do the exact same thing with our friends in our apartments or dorm rooms! 

Streaming services start on Nov. 12, but the service is available for preorder from now until the day it’s released. Preordering the service will help get ahead of the crowd, so go get your subscription today!