Gun Violence at the Vie Concerns Students

Angela Gamble

Angela Gamble

Two men were wounded in a shooting at the Vie in Raleigh on Aug. 15, making it the fourth incident this academic school year, which has the apartment community, most of which are local university students concerned after the latest string of violence.

It has been reported that no William Peace University students were involved in the incident, according to Campus Security police.

The incident took place early morning at a party in the vicinity of Wolf Creek Drive, according to authorities. Per campus security, two unidentified males were shot and sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

“Currently, the incident is still under investigation by Raleigh Police Department,” according to Michael John, Director of Campus Safety for WPU.

The incident left a lasting impression on the complex community, moreover the students of WPU. University leaders have expressed concerns and have ensured that additional measures are in effect for the safety of the WPU community.

Tre Bryant, WPU junior student athlete, resides in a building adjacent where the incident happened and says that while his building is usually peaceful, he still has concerns. 

“I haven’t seen the management do anything except just move all of the students closer,” said Bryant. “I mean I feel like the shooting [that] happened was closer to us than last year’s incident. Overall, it’s been cool living here. However, I can’t tell if the management is doing all they can by moving us away from possible threats. I am not sure if it is helping us or hurting us.” 

WPU residents will see additional police units encamping at the complex.

“The Vie at Raleigh will be increasing Raleigh Police officers and Wake County Sheriffs by living on the property by the end of the month,” said Frank Rizzo, Vice President for Student Life for WPU.

In addition to Rizzo’s letter, Michael John stated that the additional security will come with ’round the clock monitoring. 

“These police cars will be stationed from 8 PM to 4 AM, 7 days a week and include patrols,” said John.

This supplement is seen as a start to resolving threats across the student apartment complex.

“This is a huge change from the previous contracted outside security company that was in place last academic year,” said John.“In addition, even beyond these hours, RPD will make regular patrols as part of their community watch around the area.”

As stated from John, the Vie management is currently looking for city approval to block off and use concrete barriers for an entrance to the property that will be in front of the buildings. 

“This will assist Raleigh police with patrolling the property,” said John.

John states that the Vie management have agreed to add additional lighting around the property and is waiting on county permitting to install some of these additional lights around the area. 

“Honestly, with all these shootings happening here, I truly feel that they can do a better job in protecting everyone here,” said former WPU student, Akeem Mills, who currently lives at the Vie. 

“There’s many students and other residents here. Placing us in an area that’s potentially dangerous, yes, anything can happen anywhere at a given time, but it’s not cool for them to not do anything about the issue.” 

The Vie property management is working closely with WPU campus safety on the matter and ensures that safety is priority at the complex.

• Gun Violence at the Vie Concerns Students

Peace News

Midterm Elections are Just Around the Corner! Do You Know What To Do?

Peace News

Seaboard Station Property Update

Peace News

Impact of Hurricane Florence

Peace News

Birds Can’t Fly On WPU Campus

Peace News

Pacers Engage in [email protected]

Peace News

Publix Coming Soon Near Peace

Peace News

“Silent Sam” Keeps Monuments in Spotlight

Food

Peace Goes Gourmet

Peace News

WPU’s Annual Student Showcase

Peace News

WPU Attends First Archeological Field School in Raleigh