WPU Black History Month Film Festival/Movie Party

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Janelle Jennings-Alexander

Alexandra Garrison, Editor

About The Identity Through the Lens Film Festival:

The Identity Through the Lens: Conversations on Race + Cinema Film Series is an educational event featuring four films over four days, Feb. 21-24. The series strives to promote discussion among WPU students about race, representation, and larger issues of American identity.

With it being Black History Month, this even fits perfectly and will include discussions of each film shown, excluding The Wiz, following the individual showings.

There are a total of 4 films playing this week, including The Wiz Movie Party.

Birth of Nation (Feb. 21)

The Wiz Movie Party (Feb. 22)

–  Bamboozled (Feb. 23)

–  Get Out (Feb. 24)

About The Wiz Movie Party:

Raleigh, NC- William Peace University will partner with Alamo Drafthouse Cinema to present The Wiz movie party in Kenan Auditorium on Feb. 22 with doors opening at 7:00 PM.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema will be presenting a movie party as part of the film festival taking place this week, as it does fit with the overlooking educational purposes of the showings.

Instead of promoting a discussion afterward in relation to the film, Peace’s new partnership with the Cinema, coming to Raleigh sometime in March, will involve a movie party that will be a new engaging and interactive experience. 

The Wiz movie party is free and open to the public and will feature audience participation with props, costumes, games, prizes, and food and drink for all who attend.

As it is part of the Identity Through the Lens: Conversations on Race + Cinema Film Series at William Peace University, it honors Black History Month, but will not provide a discussion following the presentation of the film.