Give To Texas

Texas
Texas

Texas

Texas

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past couple of weeks, you have probably heard of the major hurricane that will go down in the history books: Hurricane Harvey.

Hurricane Harvey began its development on Aug.17 in the Atlantic Ocean. Winds were reaching up to 130 miles per hour — that makes it a Category 4 hurricane. Most of the damage from Hurricane Harvey was from its rain.

Hurricane Harvey’s rain touchdowned in Houston and the southeast Texas area. In just a four-day span, rainfall topped out to be 50 inches. Alongside damages with the rain, there was an explosion at a chemical plant that leaked hazardous chemicals into the floodwater.

So far the death toll caused by Harvey is 70. These deaths are tallied up from people who drowned due to the flood, power outages, and getting crushed by collapsed building or trees. In comparison to Hurricane Katrina, which was the last major hurricane that hit the United States, affected areas are fortunate enough to not have as many casualties.  

William Peace held a flash clothes drive on Sept. 1 in Main Gym to help victims of Harvey.

There are plenty of ways to help with the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Donations, help, and volunteering can made to any of the following:

• The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund founded by Houston’s mayor, Sylvester Turner, is ran by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
  • The Houston Humane System can be accessed to assist any animals that were affected by the storm.
  • The Texas Diaper Bank is asking for for diapers, wipes, and other necessities for the care of babies. Donations can be made in person or mailed to 5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, Tex., 78238.
  • All Hands Volunteers will help rebuild and work on damaged homes and removing any debris left.
  • The American Red Cross will be accepting donations. You can also text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10.
  • AmeriCares will take medicine and supplies to survivors.
  • Direct Relief will also ship medicine and supplies to survivors.
  • SBP, which is a nonprofit organization, will handle damage assessment and help rebuild.
  • YouCaring is an online fundraising page made by professional football J. J. Watt of the Houston Texas. The goal is to reach $20 million
  • GlobalGiving’s Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund supports organization that are helping survivors’ immediate need for food, fuel, hygiene care, clean water, and shelter.

• Give To Texas

Peace News

Veteran’s Day at William Peace University

• Give To Texas

Peace News

Annual Career Connections Event

• Give To Texas

Peace News

Lacrosse Comes to WPU

• Give To Texas

Peace News

WPU Gospel Choir

• Give To Texas

Peace News

WPU Performance Highlights Poe

• Give To Texas

Peace News

“Me Too” Movement Through Social Media

• Give To Texas

Features

A Club to Write Home About

• Give To Texas

Peace News

Limited Student Parking

• Give To Texas

Peace News

Road Construction on Peace Street

• Give To Texas

Peace News

New Majors at Peace

Give To Texas