Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Mary Kubeny

Classes may have just started Wednesday, but Pacers have been on campus since Move-In Day, Aug. 18, participating in traditions, going to fun activities and events, and for the newest Pacers –  taking their first college classes.

Students coming onto campus had high hopes for fun events to kick off the school year and have some fun with their fellow peers.

Stephanie Arnold, a junior at William Peace University, was most looking forward to the annual ChalkFest held on the Belk courtyard during Welcome Week.

“It’s just a chance for you to sit outside, chill and draw a little bit,” said Arnold. “It kind of distracts you from the stress of starting the semester.”

Activities and events before the first day of classes included Pacers N’ Pirates Movie Night, Wingza, Rise Against Hunger (a community service event,) Dinner on the Lawn, Kickback on Belk, and Lazer Tag.

Most of these events were designed for student interaction and included giveaways and lots of free food.

“We got cookies late the other night and I really enjoyed that,” said WPU junior Keisha Gills.

Freshman had the first few meetings of their FYS-100 First Year Seminar class, formerly known as PDS-100 or Professional Development Seminar. Students who  participated in Pathways enjoyed a mix of ice-breakers, some testing, and orientation activities to prepare them for their first year of life at Peace in and out of the classroom. The First Year Experience is designed to help students feel more comfortable in their new setting and make a few friends, all in the hopes to improve retention rates, or the percentage of new first-year students who re-enroll at WPU the following year.

Along with the classroom activities going on around campus, two of Peace’s traditional events to welcome new students and to start the school year, Matriculation and Academic Convocation respectively, were held across the street at Holy Trinity Anglican Church.

The class of 2021 signed the University Honor Code and received their first red rose on Move-In Day at Matriculation before saying goodbye to their families. Faculty and staff offered their advice and well wishes for new and returning students at the 146th Academic Convocation WPU held to kick off the school year with a purpose.

The 2017-18 school year has officially begun.  From all of us on The Peace Times staff – Welcome Home Pacers!

• Peace News

Peace Times Podcast Pilot

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

WPU Pacers in the Pool

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

WPU Black History Month Film Festival/Movie Party

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

Pacers Go Nuts for Peanut Week

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

Pacers Face Angels a Second Time

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

WPU Production of “Five Women Wearing the Same Dress”

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

WPU Student Fights SB 145

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

A Prime Location for Amazon

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

High Hopes for New History at Peace

• Pacers’ First Week on Campus

Peace News

Have You Gotten Your Flu Shot?

Pacers’ First Week on Campus