Election Follow-Up with Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Election Follow-Up with Students

Photo by Johnny Everette

Photo by Johnny Everette

Photo by Johnny Everette

Photo by Johnny Everette

Caitlin Richards

Photo by Johnny Everette

Last year, students at William Peace University were asked about their opinions on the election in an informal poll by a communications class. Students were asked questions such as, “Are you going to vote?” “Why or why not?” “Who are you voting for and why?” and “Is this going to be your first time voting?”

Although there were a lot of differences between who students were planning to vote for and the reasoning behind it, most students were planning on voting and nearly half of the students at Peace said they were planning on voting for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

Now that the election is over and Trump is our president, The Peace Times asked those same students what they think of our new president so far.

Kassie Burton was one of the students at Peace who was planning on voting for Clinton and did vote for Clinton on Nov. 8.

“I did vote because I thought it was my civic duty as well as it was my first time voting,” said Burton, a freshman. “I am worried that the country that was finally starting to get progress, is slowly reverting back to the old days where everything was segregated.”  

To recap his first few weeks as president, Trump has signed executive order after executive order, which led to protests and marches across the country. He has faced over fifty lawsuits, according to National Public Radio. But that doesn’t stop some students from continuing to put their trust in Trump to “Make America Great Again.”

Students like Tyler Graybar, who voted for Trump, are content with how he is doing in office so far. They feel that Trump is sticking to his word and his plans that persuaded them to vote for Trump in the first place.

“I feel as if Trump is doing the right thing to help our nation out,” Graybar said.

While some students are glad Trump is our new president and think he’s doing and will continue to do a good job, other students are concerned for the future.

“I’m not happy with the results, I feel as if my rights might be compromised with this person in power,” said freshman Larry Lexine, who voted for the first time in November.  

Some students are concerned for their future, some students have no opinion about politics, and other students are happy with Trump and his decisions for America.

No matter who students voted for or if they don’t share the same political beliefs, students aren’t letting that divide them.They continue to go to classes, events, and go to off-campus events with each other, showing how united a college community can be.

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

Winter Weather Conditions Continue in the Triangle.

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

WPU Snow Day Affects Students’ Finals Schedule

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

WPU Remains Safe After Lockdown

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

Peace Talks Live! Invites Students to Join Podcast Monday

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

WPU Art Majors Gain Personal Growth Through Internships

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Features

International Festival Brought Cultures Together

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Entertainment

Fall Cocktail is Back!

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

Make Midterm Voting a Priority

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

SPARKcon Takes Over Downtown Raleigh This Weekend

• Election Follow-Up with Students

Peace News

Midterm Elections are Just Around the Corner! Do You Know What To Do?

Election Follow-Up with Students