Spring Break in Mexico 

Taken from online

Dara Scott, Staff Writer

With the fall semester winding down, the spring semester will soon be gearing up and bringing with it all sorts of new opportunities for students in and outside the classroom. 

While most students typically plan to spend their breaks during semesters visiting new places or going home to visit friends and families, some may not be aware of the opportunities offered during these breaks that allow students to make new friends, explore new places and receive course credit. 

Coming up this spring break of 2020, William Peace University will be offering a one credit course to be a part of a documentary production in Mexico with Roger Christman, professor and Department Chair for Communications. 

Listed in the course catalog as COM 395 for Special Topics, the trip will take place during the first week of March during Peace’s spring break and allow students hands on experience working in the field as part of a production team. 

“I would definitely be interested in going on this trip because it would allow me to put to test the skills I’ve already learned in Professor Christman’s class,” said Skylar Conklin, WPU junior. 

Being a part of this kind of immersive learning is part of what separates WPU from other colleges in the Triangle area. Going to another country for hands-on learning that will result in a finished product is something students can be proud to put on their resume to stand out to potential future employers. 

While there is an out of pocket fee for this specific trip, it is not as expensive as some of the lengthier study abroad trips offered in the summer. Students can talk to financial aid and Professor Christman to see if there are any opportunities to minimize the costs. 

Due to being out of the country, students will be expected to have a current passport for the trip. Prior knowledge of the Spanish language is a plus, but not mandatory. 

As spring semester classes begin, the itinerary for the trip will become more fleshed out with what students can expect day-to-day on the trip and what will be expected from them specifically for the production of the documentary. 

Be sure to check back in on The Peace Times website for more information as details become more clear for pricing and travel dates.