Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Live Green at WPU!

Live Green at WPU!

Live Green at WPU!

Live Green at WPU!

Michelle Presutti, Staff Writer

Going green can take a lot of effort, especially in college, but environmental awareness and sustainability don’t have to be difficult. Here are some simple, easy, and quick ways to incorporate green living into your everyday routines.

1. Reduce single-use plastics

Rather than using reusable cups, straws, plastic lids, etc it’s better to get a reusable cup, water bottle, tote bag, and/or containers. Many coffee shops in Downtown Raleigh will refill reusable coffee cups for the same price as a small drink.

1. Recycle homework and handouts

While most people throw out the handouts or old notes from their notebooks, it is best to throw out the paper into the recycling bin. There are recycling bins around campus as well as in classrooms.

“The bins let you put in a bottle at a time or if you have a box you can leave it beside the bin. We already are taking action, but there is also room for improvement,” says WPU Senior, Lydia Granholm.

1. Public Transportation

Students are able to ride the R-Line and the shuttle from WPU to get to the student apartments as well as various locations in downtown. This is not only cost effective, but also saves fuel, reduces pollution,  and decreases road congestion.

1. Thrifting

Downtown has numerous thrift stores that are perfect for buying clothes, room decor, and furniture for students. Shoppers can get great, unique pieces for reduced prices and also reduce the impacts of the fashion industry on the environment.

1. Walk, skateboard, or bike

Not only does walking and biking help you lead a healthier lifestyle, but it also cuts down on driving which will save gas money and help the environment. There are many places in downtown that are great for skateboarding and biking for fun as well.

1. Avoid Aerosol Sprays

When buying beauty products, find ones that don’t have a spray, but instead a tube or pump. Lots of brands label their items with environmentally responsible brand seals.

1. Go Digital

Avoid unnecessary printing of papers, proofread papers on a computer, and take notes on a laptop if possible. Also, remember to adjust a laptop’s settings to a power saving mode and preview before printing to make sure your file is correct.

1. Eat Sustainably

Try reducing the amount of meat you eat and choose a vegetarian or vegan option. The meat industry creates a lot of greenhouse gases and by having meat-free meals you can save an animal’s life.

1. Water Bottle Refill Stations

Numerous water stations are available around campus, from the class hallways to the library. This helps students so that they can get filtered water without having to purchase plastic bottles, where roughly 80% return back to the environment and create a variety of hazards.

1. Turn Off Devices

Turning off something is simple and a quick way to use less power. This works for every device, for instance rather than buying a fan open your window, unplug hair straighteners/curlers, and unplug electronics that aren’t being used even if they are idle.

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

Pacer Playlist-Valentine’s Day Edition

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

Learning in Your Student’s Environment

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

Pacer Playlist Week of 02/4/19

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

Graduation Game Plan

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

Brenna Mickey: Designing and Pacing the Globe

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

Cultural Anthropology: People and Culture

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

Dressing With Class For Class

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

2018 Holiday Events in the Triangle

• Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace

Features

International Festival Brought Cultures Together

• Features

Favorite Fall Tradition Returns

Top 10 Tips to Going Green @ Peace