Cultural Anthropology: People and Culture

Anthropology+bulletin+board+on+the+third+floor+of+Flowe+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Anthropology bulletin board on the third floor of Flowe

Mary Mills

Mary Mills

Mary Mills

Mary Mills, Staff Writer

Cultural Anthropology could be the perfect course for a person if they have a keen interest in other cultures, like to travel, or are curious about how other people make a living around the world. The course is designed to give students a better understanding of themselves as a human being and of the world in which they live.

ANT 214 is three credit hours, offered in both fall and spring semester, counts as a CTC or NW credit, and is a required course for a major or minor in anthropology. Overall, the course is a great elective no matter what degree a student is pursuing because it fulfills a wide variety of requirements.

Throughout the course, students will be introduced to some new and different ways of viewing the world while learning about human cultural diversity. They will learn about a number of people from a variety of places and times, and will also learn to take a critical look at their own society and culture.

“I thoroughly enjoyed this course because it offered an open minded perspective on many different cultures, which I never knew existed beforehand,” said William Peace University sophomore, Zekia Randle. “I would recommend this course to students because it is a well rounded class and you learn a lot, especially if you have Melomo as your professor.”

Even if a person’s future career is not in the field of anthropology, the course can still be useful with their future job. The class teaches students how to appreciate people from all backgrounds, making them more sensitive of other people’s feelings, beliefs, and their cultures. It will be easier to interact with people in the future and understand their interests and needs.

The course can also make a person more aware of their environment and surroundings, becoming more careful with their choice of words and actions because they are already equipped with this knowledge of cultural diversity.

As the course progresses, students will start to become more aware of what culture is, how it has shaped individuals, and how culture can change overtime.

Students may enter an anthropology course with a basic understanding of how the world is changing at a remarkable pace. They may also already understand how computer mediated technology links people instantaneously across the globe.

Anthropology can broaden those existing understandings, helping students to study economic activities, the movement of individuals, the transmission of information, and the ways that those issues present advantages and challenges to national boundaries, economic systems, and local communities.

“I really enjoyed this class and highly recommend it to other students. It was so interesting to learn about so many different cultures all across the globe and was definitely a fun course taught by an even better professor,” said WPU sophomore, Olivia Oates.

Anthropology gives students the tools to navigate the complex, multicultural, and changing realities of the world around them. Students can use ethnography, which is the customs of individual people and cultures, to engage and observe the human relationships in which they are involved.  Above all, students taking a cultural anthropology course can learn to appreciate cultural diversity and cross-cultural engagements.

• Cultural Anthropology: People and Culture

Features

COM 475 Documentary Showing

Features

TAG! Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Features

Saying Goodbye to Sarah Putterman

Features

#FullFrameFocus: 3 Days and 2 Nights

Features

Diversity & Inclusion

Features

Immersive Learning in Anthropology

Features

Rival WPU’s to Fight in Massive Death Arena

Entertainment

Peace 2020: All Boys

Features

Funding Your Degree

• Features

Top 3 Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurants in Downtown Raleigh